Employers are responsible for the health and safety of all workers, this includes Host Employers using labour hire agencies. As an Employer with labour hire workers it’s important that you provide casual staff with the same level of safe work practices as you would for permanent employees.
There are some simple questions you can ask yourself to assess your workplace safety standards:
- Have I provided my staff with adequate training?
- Are position descriptions and duties clearly defined?
- Have I conducted a search to identify potential hazards?
- What licenses & certificates are my staff required to hold and are they all current?
- Are all staff members wearing appropriate PPE?
- Is adequate staff supervision being provided?
If you are a host employer, it’s also important to cooperate with your agency regarding safety requirements. They may require access to your workplace to complete initial safety checks or attend Tool Box meetings as part of their own compliance. Your agency should also contribute to safety through gathering accurate job descriptions, conducting inductions and visiting your work site regularly to discuss any concerns.
Here at Dove Personnel, we take the safety of our employees very seriously and recommend that you take the time to meet with a Workplace Health & Safety Consultant who can inform you of your responsibilities and put a plan in place to minimise risks. For further information contact Worksafe Qld